Friday, April 11, 2014

LEVERAGE Your Business: 3 Ways to Invest in Yourself and Your Community of Women=Owned Businesses

In March 2012, I began to recruit women to support the Females are FABULOUS conference. At that time, I began my journey to truly live out my purpose to build Essence of a Lady Inc's (E/LInc) brand and raise money for scholarships and YELL! programs. I began seeking women entrepreneurs to become a part of this educating, mentoring, and empowering conference called Females are FABULOUS. This conference was envisioned May 2011 when I was at another associates' fundraising brunch with one of E/LInc's board member.

As I began my networking journey to recruit women entrepreneurs to enhance the support I already had in the E'Ladies Network, a program of E/LInc which recruits women to advocate, volunteer, and donate to our mentoring program for school-aged girls called Young Essence Ladies...Learning(YELL!). To be frank, I have always supported women and girls. May 1989, 25 years ago, I was so determined to support women, I brought over 20 women together to support each other and girls through Essence of a Lady, Inc.(E/LInc), a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation.

The problem is women say they support each other, but when it comes to spending money with women-owned small businesses,they continue to FALL SHORT!

Research shows:
65% of women entrpreneurs continue to work at other jobs and 75% of them continue to work full-time jobs!

This begs the question, how are we investing in ourselves and the community, yet we are not supporting women-owned businesses/nonprofits?

Here are three ways to evaluate your support of women-owned businesses:

1.Does your goals include women=owned businesses as collaborative partners?

When you are creating your strategic plans, Make them more productive by including small businesses that offer services you need for your business or your clients/customers.
Step 20 of 26 Time Management Tips tells us to "DELEGATE if it can be done 80% as well by others." Last year, I spent thousands of dollars using women to create business products, including my website and design business cards, postcards, posters, and banners. Yes, Marcia Hylton at Clickgrapix  created eLadies.biz, Myrna Galan at Galan Graphix is my official graphic designer, and Theresa Allen, at Pamper Your Biz is my virtual assistant for FAB Conference and she gets my printing done after Myrna creates it. Also, I purchase services to help me market and promote my events and projects with women-owned television and radio hosts for interviews and speaking conferences, etc. Tina Dixon does social media, Jeanette Harris has Choices with Jeanette and NOW Network and I am finalizing a deal with Melissa "Anne" Santos with The Anne Network, a syndicated Radio Show.

2.  Are You Investing in Yourself with Women "Influencers?"

Check out women who you feel can help you LEVERAGE your business by being connected with them. These women are called "INFLUENCERS" because they have established themselves as experts in their field, they have at least 3 years experience and a loyal following who will support them whereever they go.

They are women whom you have or would like to establish a business relationship with. I have paid money for products from Kim Roxie, LAMIK Cosmetics, to participate in masterminds with Kristi Jackson and Dawniel Winningham; paid for events to support Tonya Hofman, and programs with Vernetta Freeney, Jill Lublin, just to name a few, to connect with them to support my event or cause. In return, they have supported YELL!Mentoring through the E'Ladies Network. These women are reliable, dependable, and very professional.

3.Are You Investing in Your Community with a Strategic Plan?

When you invest into your community, you give back to it on a monthly basis. The good book tells us to "give out of the goodness of our heart, without expecting ANYTHING in return!" Philanthropy is giving of your time, talent, and resources. Serve, don't sell! Justina Page, Amos House of Faith, has made this statement her mission. She obviously heard this from women in Public Speakers Association because after I heard her say it, a few days later, it resonated thoughout the PSA conference. This soundbite represents what I have always believed but never expressed so clear and concise. When you include financial support in your monthly budget, you are sowing a seed. By advocating, volunteering, and donating to promising and achieving women-owned businesses/nonprofits, you have the opportunity to receive blessings 100-Fold because you are living out GOD'S PURPOSE FOR YOUR LIFE! Dr. Alma Allen, Texas State Representative has sown seeds in my life since I met her over 25 years ago as mentor and strongest supporter of E/LInc.

When you incorporate these three tips into your business, you will be able to watch your business grow by building strategic partnerships, becoming a philanthropist, and LEVERAGING your life based on God's purpose for you.

To ensure you continue, join eLadies.biz, where women buy, sell, and barter with women entrepreneurs! Also, where women can find resources, post events, and market and promote their businesses or non-profits!

Get your FREE LISTING for your business/non-profit OR Register for FREE as a customer ALWAYS! Go to www.eladies.biz!

No comments:

Post a Comment